So how can you support local producers? Try shopping at farmers markets, seeking out local products in your grocery store or consider joining a CSA. Look for farmers markets and CSAs in Portland, Seattle or other communities.
In addition to seeking out and buying food products from your region, you can meet and volunteer with businesses and organizations that are advocating for local producers. Farmers market associations, land conservancies, groups celebrating the abundance of local food - there are many opportunities to share your talents, skills and interests.
Our communities are rich with organizations and it would be impossible to provide information about all of them. DRY has provided listings for several organizations that are doing great work in Portland, Seattle and nationally.
PORTLAND, OREGONFarmers Markets, CSAs, And Pick-your-own Farms
- Farmers Markets in metro Portland, via Portland Farmers Markets
- CSA programs serving metro Portland, via Portland Area Community Supported Agriculture Coalition
- Pick-Your-Own Farm listings for metro Portland, via PickYourOwn.org
- EcoTrust - A nonprofit organization focused on creating economic opportunity, social equity and environmental well-being, and manages several local food producer programs.
- Oregon Tilth - A nonprofit research and education membership organization dedicated to biologically sound and socially equitable agriculture.
- Portland Chefs Collaborative - Local chapter of Chefs Collaborative, an organization promoting a sustainable food system through advocacy, education and collaboration.
- Slow Food Portland - Local chapter of Slow Food USA, which promotes reconnecting people with their food and its sources.
- Edible Portland - Quarterly publication with articles about Portland’s food community.
SEATTLE, WASHINGTONFarmers Markets, CSAs, And Pick-your-own Farms
- Seattle Neighborhood Farmers Alliance - Markets serving Broadway, Columbia City, Lake City, Magnolia, Phinney Ridge, University District and West Seattle
- Seattle Outdoor Markets - Markets serving Ballard, Fremont, Georgetown, Madrona, Olympic Sculpture Park and Wallingford
- Queen Anne Farmers Market
- Puget Sound Area Farmers Market Finder - Find farmers markets in the Puget Sound area
- CSA programs serving the Puget Sound area, via Puget Sound Fresh
- Pick-Your-Own Farm listings for the Puget Sound area - Download Fresh Farm Guide from Puget Sound Fresh
- Cascade Harvest Coalition - A nonprofit organization dedicated to re-localizing Washington State’s food system by supporting farmers, educating consumers and building health communities.
- Tilth Producers of Washington - In addition to representing Washington organic growers and businesses, this nonprofit organization maintains an online directory of organic wholesalers, restaurants and caterers.
- Seattle Chefs Collaborative - Local chapter of Chefs Collaborative, an organization promoting a sustainable food system through advocacy, education and collaboration.
- Slow Food Seattle - Local chapter of Slow Food USA, which promotes reconnecting people with their food and its sources.
- Edible Seattle - Bi-monthly publication with articles about Seattle’s food community.
NATIONALFarmers Markets, CSAs, And Pick-your-own Farms
- Farmers Market Coalition - Provides listings of state farmers market associations, which often maintain listings of markets in the state.
- CSA program listings, via United States Department of Agriculture - Provides links to several databases of CSA program listings.
- Farm to School - Organization that connects K - 12 children with local farms and works to improve student nutrition, provides opportunities for agriculture, health and nutrition education, and supports local and regional farmers.
- America’s Farmland Trust - Mission is to help farmers and ranchers protect their land, produce a healthier environment and build successful communities.
- Chefs Collaborative - A network of chefs that fosters a sustainable food system through advocacy, education and collaboration with the broader food community.
- Slow Food USA - National organization that strives to reconnect Americans with the people, traditions, plants, animals, fertile soils and waters that produce our food.
- Edible Communities - A network of local food publications representing over 60 communities and regions in the United States and Canada.