By now you have probably heard we officially added Watermelon DRY Sparkling to our permanent list of flavors! We tested it out as a limited-time summer seasonal flavor in 2016, and it sold so well, we decided to keep it for good. While we are psyched about Watermelon DRY Sparkling, we simply just love this fruit in any form. In celebration of this quintessential fruit and National Watermelon Day on August 3rd, we are sharing ten facts you simply must know about Watermelon.
1. Watermelons have been around for a loooooong time. They’ve existed for over 5,000 years with the earliest records found through Egyptian hieroglyphics. But the fruit….er, vegetable (see #4) wasn’t always sweet. It took years of breeding watermelons to get that pleasing, juicy, taste we’ve all come to love.
2. Next time you want to impress someone at a picnic, ask them to pass the “Citrullus Lanatus,” which is the official species name for watermelon.
3. The nostalgic taste of watermelon is especially great alongside summer faves like grilled shrimp, lobster rolls, prosciutto and melon (pictured above), kebabs, lamb, and potato salad. It’s perfect for any summer BBQ too! For more of our favorite Watermelon pairings, check out our DRY Sparkling + food pairing generator.
4. A watermelon can be classified as both a fruit AND a vegetable. Yup, that’s right. Its seeds make it a fruit, but because it originated from the cucumber/squash family, it’s also a vegetable.
5. We’ve never met a Watermelon cocktail we didn’t like. We love its cool and juicy flavors with gin, tequila, vodka or champagne. We’ve especially fallen in love with Watermelon DRY Sparkling + rosé this season. For a full list of our favorite Watermelon DRY Sparkling cocktails, head to our cocktail generator for the recipes.
6. Square Watermelons are grown in various parts of Asia. These babies sell for up to $800.00 each!
7. Watermelons are made up of 91-92% water depending on who you ask. Now, if only we could figure out why they call it a watermelon… ?
8. We were so inspired by watermelons this summer that we made a custom Watermelon DRY Sparkling towel. They are perfect for those times when you want to look extra adorable when sipping Watermelon DRY on the beach or poolside. We’ll be giving one away on social media this August – be sure to follow along on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for your next chance to win one!
9. Every single part of this melon is edible. Every. Single. Part. So don’t waste it! Try pickling your rinds for a cocktail garnish next time.
10. Watermelon DRY Sparkling, along with new Pineapple DRY Sparkling, is also available in our limited edition Summer Celebration bottles! Head to our store locator and select the product to discover all the locations you can find it near you, including Cost Plus World Market and BevMo.
When you have the chance to try Watermelon DRY Sparkling, please let us know. Share your photos using the hashtag #WatermelonDRY so we can be part of your fun.
Cheers to National Watermelon Day!